The Beta Tau chapter at Valparaiso University was incorporated in 1960. Its origins go back to a local fraternity called Omega Chi Beta in 1946. It stayed a local fraternity until in the 1950’s they were beginning to investigate aligning with a national fraternity. They looked seriously at several and some asked them, but it was Sigma Pi that they chose.
The first Sigma Pi Beta Tau house was the former Omega Chi Beta house at 251 Greenwich. They moved to 254 Morgan Street in 1963. In 1972 we bought 805 Brown Street and in 1974 803 Brown Street. A temporary move to the second floor of the Phi Psi house in 1972 and Brandt Hall in 1973 ended once the Brown Street houses were remodeled. Although the current houses are over 100 years old, we continue to enjoy the large lots, volleyball court and free parking.
Since 1960, the Beta-Tau Chapter of Sigma Pi has influenced the lives of hundreds of men, cultivating lasting friendships in the process. Many of our best college memories can be traced back to our Sigma Pi experience. The brotherhood we shared then and
today is what makes Beta-Tau special. Many of our alumni have gone on to successful and distinguished careers. Sigma Pi prepared us for life after college, teaching us the importance of Brotherhood, Learning, Morality, Chivalry, and Righteousness. These traits have been integral to our personal success and helped make us the men we are today.
Sigma Pi Fraternity was founded in 1897 at Vincennes University, in Vincennes, Indiana. Our Executive Office is located at the historic Mitchell House in Lebanon, Tennessee. The Fraternity is one of the top men’s collegiate organizations in North America, with more than 120 active chapters and colonies in the United States and Canada. With over 100,000 alumni and 5,700 undergraduates; our men strive for excellence by living our core values to promote fellowship, develop character and leadership, advance heightened moral awareness, enable academic achievement, and inspire service. Sigma Pi is the only Greek letter organization with an international philanthropic program, The ACE Project, specifically designed to give back to our host institutions.